Our Travel Advisory Policy
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) understands that from time-to-time your booking may be affected by weather or natural disasters that are not planned. In such cases, we make every possible effort to keep you informed and to provide you with the level of service that you require so that you can manage your bookings and plan around these unforeseen circumstances. If a Travel Advisory exists, we will display details about the advisory, how your booking may be affected and the process for how to proceed with as little stress and inconvenience as possible.
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19): Supporting your well-being and travel plans
As a guest of IHG Hotels & Resorts, we appreciate your loyalty and the trust you place in us as a travel partner.
Recognising the ongoing and increased uncertainty that coronavirus (COVID-19) is causing around the world, our highest priority is the health and well-being of our guests and employees. With that in mind, we wanted to update you on the actions we have taken in response to the outbreak.
Global Reservations & Customer Care
Due to the volume of calls to our Global Reservations & Customer Care teams we are unfortunately experiencing extended hold times.
To help support all our guests in a timely manner, we ask that you:
- Modify or cancel your reservation online at Manage Your Stay or on the app
- Call the team only if your travel is within the next 72 hours and you are not able to modify or cancel your reservation online or via the IHG app
- For bookings made through a travel agent or an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) please contact them direct
- For billing information or inquiries please complete this form to contact the hotel directly
- Please use this comment form if your request is not urgent or to report an issue and our Reservations & Customer Care team will respond in due course.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Cancellation policy & booking flexibly
Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:
We are waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels worldwide for stays between 9 March, 2020 and 30 April, 2020 (see below for further important information, including Groups & Meetings bookings):
- Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances.
- For bookings made through a travel agent or online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
- Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case-by-case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
We are continuing to monitor the evolving situation and will be keeping this policy under review.
Bookings beyond April 30, 2020 – staying flexible:
We want to help you plan and book any future travel with confidence. So, for bookings beyond April 30, 2020 we want to remind you of the flexibility already built in to our rates and packages that allow our guests to amend travel plans as necessary.
Our Best Flexible Rate allows our guests to change or cancel their reservation one to two days prior to arrival, although some hotels may have a different time frame. Changing the date on any reservations through our Best Flexible Rate may result in different pricing and terms, but there is no fee for making changes.
To modify a reservation for stays beyond April 30, 2020 visit Manage Your Stay.
Your Health, Safety and Well-Being
Our number one priority is your health, safety and well-being. We are closely monitoring developments around the world and are in contact with global organisations, including the World Health Organisation (WHO), Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and relevant authorities for country-specific requirements, to ensure the actions we take are both comprehensive and suitable.
All our hotels are required to adhere to comprehensive health and safety procedures, including all local laws. In addition, we provide our hotels with best practices and guidelines and have supplemented these resources with additional COVID-19 cleanliness-specific guidance, training and information consistent with our own high standards. These include:
- Activation of response teams to provide around-the-clock assistance to our hotels.
- Hotels have increased the frequency of cleaning public areas (including lobbies, lifts, door handles, public lavatories) and high-touch points in guest rooms.
- All hotels have been advised on cleaning products and protocols which are effective against viruses.
- We continue to review food and beverage service in accordance with current food safety recommendations.
IHG Rewards Club status
We know that many of our IHG Rewards Club members are now thinking about how to manage their loyalty activity this year and we are committed to supporting our members to do that. Our members are our most loyal guests and we want to give each member more reasons to get away and stay with us – when the time is right for them.
Elite Membership Criteria:
With more constrained travel plans and a shorter time period during which members can earn Elite tier status, we are:
- Reducing the Elite membership criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more:
- For our members in Greater China, click here for the latest information on IHG Reward Club status.
- With this change our members can continue to earn Elite membership status this year and enjoy all the IHG® Rewards Club benefits this brings through 2020 and into 2021. This change will be reflected in members' accounts in the coming weeks.
Our teams pride themselves on providing True Hospitality for everyone – a promise that guides us every day and is fundamental during times like this.
Thank you for the trust and support you have in us and we look forward to welcoming you to an IHG hotel soon.
Updated: March 22, 2020
Attention: IHG does not collect social security numbers from our guests. If you receive a call from an unfamiliar caller/phone number asking for your social security number and are directed to IHG in response to this call, it is fraudulent and not from IHG. Please report this fraud attempt to your local authorities.