Our Travel Advisory Policy
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) understands that from time-to-time your booking may be affected by weather or natural disasters that are not planned. In such cases, we make every possible effort to keep you informed and to provide you with the level of service that you require so that you can manage your bookings and plan around these unforeseen circumstances. If a Travel Advisory exists, we will display details about the advisory, how your booking may be affected and the process for how to proceed with as little stress and inconvenience as possible.
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19): Supporting your well-being and travel plans
As a guest of IHG Hotels & Resorts, we appreciate your loyalty and the trust you place in us as a travel partner.
Recognising the ongoing and increased uncertainty that coronavirus (COVID-19) is causing around the world, our highest priority is the health and well-being of our guests and employees. With that in mind, we wanted to update you on the actions we have taken in response to the outbreak.
Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:
FOR EXISTING BOOKINGS MADE UP TO AND INCLUDING 30 SEPTEMBER 2020:
With continued changes of government travel advice, guests who have made non-refundable/pre-paid reservations may want to consider changes to trips already booked.
Please note, all bookings (made directly with IHG), including non-refundable/pre-paid rates, can be changed without charge – although changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing. Please see the booking information on your booking confirmation for details on the time period for any changes to bookings.
FOR BOOKINGS MADE PRIOR TO 6 APRIL 2020:
- Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for all future arrivals can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until 30 September 2020*.
- From 1 October 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.
FOR BOOKINGS MADE FROM 6 APRIL TO 30 SEPTEMBER:
- Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including 30 September, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until 30 September 2020*.
- For arrivals from 1 October 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.
- Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the type and timing of the refund)
- If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where allowed by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation. Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
- Exclusions may apply for time periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks and policies may vary by hotel depending on the status of the special event.
- Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
- Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organisers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with the terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further - If the hotel is unavailable, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *Excludes hotels in all IHG hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and the Taiwan region. Cancellation fees for existing and new domestic bookings were eligible to be waived for stays up to 30 April 2020. Exceptions apply at some Six Senses hotels – see the Six Senses website for details
We continue to monitor the evolving situation and will be keeping this policy under review.
FOR NEW BOOKINGS MADE FROM 1 OCTOBER 2020 ONWARDS:
All reservations made from 1 October 2020 will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.
Please carefully check the terms and conditions when you make a booking as they may include non-refundable pre-payment or other restrictions.
We want to help you plan and book any future travel with confidence. So, we have several ways to support guests to book and amend travel plans as necessary:
- Book Now, Pay Later: This new rate offers flexibility and savings. With no deposit required and cancellations possible up to 24 hours before your stay for direct bookings, travel planning is commitment free. Guests benefit from 5% or more off our Best Flexible Rate for bookings for stays until 30 December 2020 (excluding Greater China).
- Best Flexible Rate: This rate offers maximum flexibility to change or cancel your reservation. For direct bookings this rate can be fully changeable or refundable 24 hours in advance and in some cases up to 6pm (local hotel time) on the day of arrival (dependent on the hotels’ individual house policy).
- IHG Rewards Club Members Rates: Additional savings are available for IHG Rewards Club members on these Book Now, Pay Later and Best Flexible rates.
- IHG Rewards Club nights: You can change or cancel these bookings with no penalty prior to the time period set by the hotel.
- These rates, and others, have their own terms and conditions. This may include non-refundable pre-payment or other restrictions. Please refer to specific rate information when booking for further details - including cancellation and change terms. Changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing.
Our members are our most loyal guests and during these times, we want to offer more reasons to get away and stay with us – when the time is right. We continue to monitor the evolving situation and keep our cancellation policy and amendments to our loyalty programme under constant review. With that in mind, we are making further changes to our loyalty programme to support our members to manage their status, points and benefits this year.
- All members’ programme status will be automatically extended through January 2022, allowing members to enjoy all the benefits of the status they earned during 2019.
- For Spire Elite members this includes the Choice benefit of 25,000 bonus points or gifting of Platinum Elite status to someone each year
- This change will be automatically reflected in member accounts in the coming weeks.
- With more constrained travel plans and a shorter time period during which members can earn Elite tier status, we have reduced the criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more meaning members can still qualify for a higher tier during 2020:
- Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our programme.
- We paused points expiry until 31 December 2020 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity).
- Following the complimentary three-month membership extension provided on 15 March 2020, we have extended this for a further three-months. Complimentary membership extension now totals six-months.
- Members will also receive an additional three-month extension on unredeemed Complimentary Weekend Nights – giving members six more months to redeem these certificates.
- Extensions are not applicable for members who enrolled or renewed after 15 March 2020.
- The Ambassador ‘Benefits Guarantee’ is suspended for stays up to and including 30 June 2020, due to COVID-19-related operational constraints.
IHG Rewards Club credit cards anniversary night certificates (USA & UK):
- We are extending the expiration date of anniversary certificates that are set to expire in 2020. Certificates expiring from 1 March 2020 can now be used through 31 December 2020.
- Certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption time period.
- We will be reaching out to cardmembers directly with more information.
For our members in Greater China, click here for the latest information on IHG Reward Club status.
The hospitality industry has always prided itself on its role within local communities. At IHG we call this True Hospitality – and that is what our teams strive to deliver every day to guests around the world.
Currently we are not able to do that in the way we normally would, and our team has had to find new ways to support those around us. Thousands of hotels colleagues are adapting to changes rapidly and doing all they can to provide a safe shelter to those who need it most. Notably those hotels that are now a home to essential workers and those on the front line. This includes looking after all COVID-19 heroes from healthcare workers to delivery drivers supplying and connecting millions of people having to stay at home:
- We are a nationwide partner to #FirstRespondersFirst providing free accommodation across the USA for frontline COVID-19 workers, with costs covered by IHG and access to a dedicated VIP reservation service to match local needs with nearby hotels.
- We are working with our hotels, and charity partners, to ease pressure on foodbanks through funding, donating excess food and assisting with deliveries.
- #LightsofLove has evolved into hundreds of our hotels across the world sending beautiful messages of hope to everyone, becoming a beacon of hope for the industry. We would love you to get involved.
- IHG Reward Club members can turn their loyalty points into financial donations for a Covid-19 relief fund, launched by the International Federation of Red Cross and Crescent Societies
Our number one priority is your health, safety and well-being. We are closely monitoring developments around the world and are in contact with global organisations including the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and relevant authorities for country-specific requirements, to ensure the actions we take are comprehensive and suitable.
All our hotels are required to adhere to comprehensive health and safety procedures, including all local laws. In addition, we provide our hotels with best practices and guidelines and have supplemented these resources with additional COVID-19 cleanliness specific guidance, training and information, consistent with our own high standards.
- Activation of response teams to provide around-the-clock assistance to our hotels.
- Hotels have increased the frequency of cleaning public areas (including lobbies, elevators, door handles, public bathrooms) and high-touch points in guest rooms.
- All hotels have been advised on cleaning products and protocols which are effective against viruses.
- We continuously review food and beverage service in accordance with official recommendations. At many of our hotels new standards and service approaches to buffets, banquets, room service and catering will be implemented. While food and beverage options may vary at this time, we are committed to protecting the well-being of our guests. For specific details on dining options, please reach out to the individual hotel.
Due to current circumstances, some of our hotels are temporarily suspending operations. Guests with impacted reservations at these hotels will be contacted directly by IHG, your travel agent or the online booking platform you booked through.
The closure period for each hotel will differ by location and is determined by the requirements of each market.
For the health and safety of our guests and hotel colleagues, and in line with legislation and current best practice, some hotels are also operating modified or reduced services e.g. reduction in restaurant and bar service, alternative guest room furnishings and/or amenities. These changes are temporary and normal amenity and service levels will be reinstated as soon as possible and in accordance with legal requirements.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and look forward to resuming normal operations and welcoming our guests back at the appropriate time.
IHG Hotel Colleagues: Please visit our Hotel Colleague Job Center which connects you directly with employment opportunities and includes helpful resources and guidance.
To ensure we support all our guests in a timely manner there are several ways for you to get in touch:
- Modify or cancel your reservation online at Manage Your Stay or on the IHG app
- Call our Reservations and Customer Care team
- For bookings made through a travel agent or online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) please contact them directly
- For billing information or inquiries please complete this form to contact the hotel directly
- Please use this comment form if your request is not urgent or to report an issue and our Reservations & Customer Care team will respond in due course.
Our teams pride themselves on providing True Hospitality for everyone – a promise that guides us every day and is fundamental during times like this.
Thank you for the trust and support you have in us and we look forward to welcoming you to an IHG hotel soon.
Updated: 2 September 2020
Attention: IHG does not collect social security numbers from our guests. If you receive a call from an unfamiliar caller/phone number asking for your social security number and are directed to IHG in response to this call, it is fraudulent and not from IHG. Please report this fraud attempt to your local authorities.